Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yapping Dominant Yorkie. . . . . . .

Thanks

Yapping Dominant Yorkie. . . . . . .

I have a 10 month old Yorkie and she wants to run everyone and everything in the house!!
    This is not the first Yorkie I have owned, but is by far the most dominant. One of the problems I am having with her, is, when I am walking away from her, she nips at my heels. It is not only annoying but is oftentimes quite painful!!! I don't know what to do, to stop this behavior. She looks at me and starts barking, and I can't figure out why she is barking or what she wants.

I also have a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, that is two years old. My Yorkie chases her through the house and plays too rough with her. Instead of standing up for herself, my Cavalier will seek refuge in her crate, or come and sit by my feet, expecting me to protect her. Initially I had hoped my Cavalier would send a message to my Yorkie that this behavior was unacceptable and put her in her place. This has not happened, so my Yorkie is in charge of everyone and everything!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. by the way, my Yorkie is very tiny, weighing 2.7#'s

Thanks, in advance for your help!

Thanks

Thumbs up

We have a 7 month Yorkie Male and he is our third Yorkie over the years - we love the breed. One thing I can say about your dominant Yorkie is you cannot allow her to continue the behaviour. Yorkies need to know that you are the Alpha (dominant) person and they need to be taught this as early as possible.

Yorkies want (demand) lots of attention. Our Yorkie was looking at us and barking loudly too for a bit (trying to tell us he wanted to play or be cuddled) but this can be very annoying if you allow it to continue. We were just very firm with him when he did this behaviour - telling him "No" in a very no-nonsense voice and not giving in (at that time) to whatever he wanted. He stopped very quickly - only needing to be told this a few times. They will play on your emotions if they can and if you always give in and do what they want they will run the house forever!

Same with the heel nipping - stop walking as soon as she starts that behaviour and be very firm about telling her "No, stop". Do not allow her to do it even once without being stopped. If you are consistant and assert your proper authority she will quickly learn to stop. The longer she does an inappropriate behaviour though the longer it will take to get her to stop!

Thanks
    Hi,

I am not a dog owner yet, but I have fallen in love with the Yorkshire Terrier breed ; and after reading so many different stories, I have to admit I am very scare of buying a Yorkie from just anybody.
    My question is, would anyone please recommend a responsible breeder I can trust, from whom I can purchase a pure breed healthy female Yorkie puppy?

I live in New York City and have found it extremely difficult to find a person who would provide me with a healthy puppy; but above all, a person who I can trust as far as the provability of something going wrong with my puppy after I purchase her.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Respectfully yours,

Erick

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Erick.

Please check out the Forum...Buying a Puppy...and Sub-Forum...Having a Puppy Shipped. Jude has listed a lot of great tips. Be sure to do your homework, first...before making any commintment.

Good Luck!! I hope you get the dog of your dreams.

Thanks

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn View Post
    Erick.

Please check out the Forum...Buying a Puppy...and Sub-Forum...Having a Puppy Shipped. Jude has listed a lot of great tips. Be sure to do your homework, first...before making any commintment.

Good Luck!! I hope you get the dog of your dreams.
    Just wanted to thank you for the tip.

Greatly appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Erick

Thanks
    Always remember that the ultimate goal of Yorkie is household takeover and to run everything and everyone away except you. You have to talk to her and tell her that she is loved above all others but she cannot have the whole house to herself No bite is a command for all our Yorkies from the first day of teething You cannot allow her to be too rough with anyone or anything She craves your attention and if you tell her that is not acceptable and turn away she will finally get the message. Just because she is small doesnt mean she can get away with unacceptable behavior Just imagine if she was a Rottie that would be put a stop to immediately You have to be in charge if she feels that you are not in charge then she will be

wiz
    Thanks
    Yorkies displaying this level of dominance require structured training.

A really good class will help you and your yorkie develop a far better relationship, where you will both be happy. I have done Animal Rescue for decades, rescuing very dangerous animals that I was able to befriend and control fairly easily. You will laugh to know that my daughters yorkie was doing exactly what you describe to me within a few months. Finally, when she snapped at a person who wanted to shake my hand, I knew that it was ME who was the "bad" owner. So I started a series of structured, positive reinforcement training, at the same time every day. It took a few months, and now she is under voice control. It saved her life last week, when she went running to a large dog - one who did not like yorkies! She came back when I called! Well, she wasnt happy about it, but when the big dog began barking, our little yorkie suddenly "got it".

This training saved her life. And it could save the life of YOUR yorkie. Start your training NOW. TODAY. You have no time to waste.

If you dont have the experience to do this kind of training, call around until you find a class that suits you. If the rules of the class require a collar or choke collar, that is NOT the right class for any yorkie. Also: Ask how many yorkies have been in their class before you consider enrolling. (If the answer is zero or less than 4, move on) Go watch a class in session before you select that trainer.

I know you will be so much happier with your yorkie when she finally realizes who is boss. And your yorkie will be happier knowing she does not have the burden of protecting you and your family. And she wil love the structured trainings. She will look forward to them, and you will enjoy them, too!

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Wiz... Not only Yorkies, but ALL DOGS need structured training. I definitely agree that structured, positive training is necessary to raise an obedient dog that everyone will love to be around.

Thanks
    Hello Lexi, you can also find more answers by clicking on the link below;

Aggression

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

EJM
    Thanks
    Hi, I bread some of my yorkies .All spayed & nuttered now.Stopped because was to picky where they were placed. You need to make sure the person that buys them can afford to take care of them. They have to be groomed. Put on a good food not cheap food with buy products. Shots #1, When I sold a pup I ask all kind of question. I told them why . Some people I would turn them down. I could tell who was good and wasn't .You need to find someone like that and if you go, to there place to buy a pup. It nasty you need to think twice. Kennels are just after money they don't care.Remeber if you work it's better to get 2 so they have company. They do better not so lonely
    Good Luck!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast