Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our Pug

Thanks

Our Pug

We bought a pug in September (she was born July 2nd of 2009). When she plays, sometimes she tugs at my clothes, putting holes in them and sometimes nips too. Is this just a puppy phase, or do I need to get a trainer in?

Thanks
    This is a puppy thing but at almost 9 month now she should have grown/been trained out of this by now.
    There are loads of articles on this online but the quickest way I have found is to TOTALY IGNORE her while she is jumping up/nipping turn your back on her if this doesn't work pick her up WITH OUT saying anything and put her into a different room until she is calm. She will soon learn that if she wants to be with you not to jump up /nip.
    Hope this helps.
    Karen

Thanks
    That's what we thought too, but she's still doing it. Usually only once a day. We find the ignoring thing kind of works. Or I put her in the spare bedroom for a minute so she can see the consequences of her actions. I'm also thinking she's still teething. I've found several of her teeth on the floor. Another site said I need to be more patient, as she's still a puppy. I love her to bits, her and her wrinkly face!

Thanks
    I suggest giving her a rawhide bone to chew on or a chew toy that she can play with to help with teething.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    I have all kinds of toys she plays with, as well as rawhides and soupbones from the butcher that I cook up. I'll wait a bit longer to see if she grows out of doing this.

Thanks
    I have another suggestion LauraO, do you take your pug on walks?

The behavior may by tiring her out a bit.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Yes, we live in Midland, Ontario and take her down to the beach, then along a forest path, then back down the street to our place. It's about a 20 minute walk. Not as much in the winter, but now that the good weather is here, we'll be walking her more.

Thanks

Question puggs.....

We love our nearly 4 year old pug, Otis - the problem is he is still having separation anxiety issues when a guest goes to leave our home, he will nip at their feet, and when in the car and slowing down, he cries worse than a baby. Any suggestions?
    Otis is marking more - what's up with that?

Thanks
    Our pug does not have any separation anxiety - every time I go out, I just say "mummy has to go shopping and I'll be back in an hour". She seems to accept that and when I close the door, I listen, and there's no whining or barking. When I get back, she greets me like I've been gone for weeks, so many kisses and kisses for the cab driver too, so funny! She's good in the car too. She barks when she hears the garbage truck come by, or when she sees the squirrels. I guess every pug is different. Mrsriggle - perhaps while in the car, have a snack available or a chew rawhide.

Thanks
    I have done that - I should take him each day for short jaunts, I guess, and reward him when I get back in the car. Maybe if he gets a treat when I return, he will not cry and yelp so much... He is in his crate when I leave the house - so we are okay there. It is just when friends go to leave that he really tries to hold them back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast