Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toilet trained except when it comes to carpet and rugs

Thanks

Toilet trained except when it comes to carpet and rugs

Hi I'm having some problems with my almost 7 month old spoodle puppy. She is toilet trained when it comes to the hard floor but seems to be confused about the carpet and continues to poo and pee on carpet if given the opportunity. I have been told that she is confusing the carpet with grass. At the moment I am restricting her access to the carpeted areas of the house so we don't have accidents.

How do I retrain her to understand that carpet either in my house or anyone elses is not the place to go? Also, when we are somewhere where there isn't a doggy door how do I teach her that she has to let me know if she wants to go out?

Any advice welcome.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Do you praise her and make a big fuss when she goes where she is suppose to? I have trained my dog to sit at the door when she needs to go out when we are at home, AND if we are out she will sit in front of me and just stare....that's when I know I had better take her out. When she was young (like yours) and would always treat her when we came in, but I always jump with excitement and praise her when she went potty in the correct place.

I have heard of some folks using a bell hanging by the door and teaching the dog to ring it when they have to go out.. Has anyone out there tried the bell???

Thanks
    Hi, I use the bells hanging from the door knob. Make sure the bells are large enough so that you can hear them ring.
    I started out by teaching my pup how to touch my hand. I hold out my hand, point to it with my other hand and say "touch".
    After he touches, give him a treat. When he catches on really well, put the bell in front of your hand. After he catches on to the bell,
    place the bell on the string and hold it out, then place it on the door knob. Every time he rings the bell, say "Potty, Good Boy" and once
    the bell is hanging on the door, and he touches it, take him outside to his potty spot. He will eventually associate the bell with potty. Be sure to praise him and play with him if and when he does do potty during this training!!!!

As for the carpet, once a dog pee's on carpet, the smell is there for good, right down to the floor underneath. The pup can smell that and thinks this is his potty spot. One house I moved into, I had to tear up the carpet from dogs that had been peeing on the carpet from the prior owners. If anyone knows how to get the smell and stain out from UNder the carpet, let us know!! Do Not use bleach!!!

Good Luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aladyami For This Useful Post:

Desilu (01-19-2013)

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    YES!!!
    For Carpets....use NATURE'S MIRACLE... it is a pet stain and odor remover.
    For Hard Floors....use SIMPLE SOLUTION... it is a pet stain and odor remover.

Both may be purchased at any pet store or from any dog catalog.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaryAnn For This Useful Post:

Desilu (01-19-2013), SuzyQ (05-29-2010)

Thanks
    I'm having the same problem with the carpet..just with pooping. 5 mo old basset, and she always pees outside, but will have poop accidents on carpet if not supervised. =(

Donna
    Mommy to 3 fur-babies:
    Shadow (12 yr old Basset-Pug Mix) Chelsea (5 mo old Basset Hound) Stryder (4 yr old Orange Tabby Cat)
    www.donnaspetpawty.com

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Please be tolerant of accidents. There will be some, and it is very important to be PATIENT and not undo all the good you have done by getting angry.

Any urine in the house that has not been cleaned up thoroughly is an open invitation to a dog to go again on the same spot. You need to use a biological cleanser to remove the enzymes in the urine so there is no lingering scent. I mentioned a good one in my post above.

Your dog will defecate at different times of the day. There are no rules as to when she should go, but note when it happens so you can tell when she might be more likely to go in the future. Cutting down to two meals a day will alter the times when she defecates. Never free-feed (leaving the bowl of food down all day).

My dog taught herself that if we are someplace, other than home, and she has to go potty....she comes and sits directly in front of me and stares at me.... and I know to excuse myself and grab a bag and head out to an appropriate spot so she can do her business.

I have always made a habit of going out with my dog and never sending her out alone. I take her out at regular intervals or when I spot the signs (sniffing, staring) that she needs to go.

When you train your dog to relieve himself/herself outside, it is extremely important that you STICK TO A ROUTINE. Dogs, like children, need structure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MaryAnn For This Useful Post:

Desilu (01-19-2013)

Thanks
    This bell use sounds possible. She is a very bright girl. I've gotten to the point where I know the basic times when my Chiweinee needs to go outside and she is using the outside time better, so I go in for a lot of praise when she does, but she still uses a certain area of the carpet much of the time. I've tried to get her onto pee pads, but without success. I'll try the NATURE'S MIRACLE and see if that helps discourage her from using the carpet.

Thanks
    To remove the smell of potty training accidents, you will want to first put some water over it to dilute the smell blot it up with a paper towel or whatever, then pour some plain white vinegar over it and again blot it up. then let it dry.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Smile Bell Training

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn View Post
    Do you praise her and make a big fuss when she goes where she is suppose to? I have trained my dog to sit at the door when she needs to go out when we are at home, AND if we are out she will sit in front of me and just stare....that's when I know I had better take her out. When she was young (like yours) and would always treat her when we came in, but I always jump with excitement and praise her when she went potty in the correct place.

I have heard of some folks using a bell hanging by the door and teaching the dog to ring it when they have to go out.. Has anyone out there tried the bell???
    Yes, I have trained two Boston Terriers to ring the bell. The female does it EVERY time she has to go out...the male, not so much because he just follows her out....He is beginning to do more than just sit by the door...once in awhile he will nudge the bells..ever so slightly.......
    We started when we first brought them home..(they are now 6 months) we would take them out of the crate...and hit the bell with their paw......I couldn't believe how fast they learned...wouldn't train any other way.
    (BTW...first time I've posted...)

Thanks
    Why do they do it!! I have a 10 week old Golden Retriever and she can be outside all day and when she comes in the house, she pees on the floor. Little stinker!!

+ Reply to Thread