Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost one of my schnauzers yesterday - need support

Thanks

Lost one of my schnauzers yesterday - need support

My husband and I adopted two 3 year-old mini schnauzers 3 and 1/2 yrs ago after our sweet Jaeger, a silver schnauzer, died of diabetes at age 11; these 2 had been very neglected; malnourished, caged for months and starved. They have been so happy with us, well treated and loved and fed the proper food - they even let us live in the house with them. Oscar was jet black with a touch of white in his goatee; he and his mate since 8 weeks of age, Maggie, who is a little parti schnauzer, were inseparable, playing like puppies, barking at the school bus together, taking walks together and sleeping side-by-side. They had to be touching anytime they slept. Oscar suffered a massive stroke last Tuesday and fell in our TV room. He couldn't get up; my husband rushed him to the ER Animal Clinic and I stayed behind with Maggie; the diagnosis was at first an inner ear infection. We were told he would have to spend the night and to pick him up the next morning. Later that evening we received a call from the doctor, telling us he had suffered a stroke, not an ear infection. He was hospitalized on IV steroids, antiacids and an antibiotic for 3 more days and nights; we brought him home and were trying everything to help him. He was very alert and could raise his head, but had to be fed by hand. He was always with all of us, so as not to feel alone, even though he had to just lie on a blanket in the floor. He slept on our bed at night with all 3 of us. Yesterday we took him to the chief physician at the clinic and after his extensive evaluation, Oscar had to be put to sleep. There was no hope for improvement. We are grieving so here at home, but I am especially concened about Maggie; she eats, but sits all day, looking out the window; she searches in each and every room, all around the back yard where they used to play so often and she will only sleep on a blanket that has Oscar's scent. She looks so depressed. We have had an anniversary trip planned for almost a year; we have arranged for a dear friend to keep Maggie while we are gone; she has a 3 year-old female wire hair fox terrier; she and Maggie get along okay, but I am so worried about leaving her this soon; we only have 10 more days before we have to leave. Can anyone suggest anything to help Maggie make this transition less painful? Thanks - pak

Thanks
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know my cat grieved for my last dog for a long time after she passed, but he is now completely happy with the new dog. I don't know but maybe the company will help with the adjustment period.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your loss. We had a little 14 year old Papillon girl whose heart just started giving out and it broke our hearts to watch her getting weaker each day. We had to make the hard decision to have her put to sleep and we cried a lot, but knew we couldn't let her suffer any more, she was in pain and had a hard time breathing. We got a little girl pup several months before we had to put the older dog to sleep and it really perked her up in her final months. It's really hard when you have to make those decisions but it's part of owning a pet.

Thanks
    I feel your pain. We have two dogs, a shizu and a min schnauzzer. They play so well together and are inseperable. I know if I lost one of them I would have to replace with another dog. They really are part of the family. May you find peace through all of this.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum paknm and I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm glad that everybody is helping you in this tough time. Be strong paknm, I'm sure that Oscar is in a better place right now. Spoil yourself a little.

Thanks
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Its never easy to let your friend go

Thanks

Unhappy

paknm......Sorry to hear about your loss...........I too recently lost a dog to a stroke 14 days ago........she was a 5 year old Silver Toy Poodle named Lacey........she passed away in the middle of the night laying in bed with me........I currently have a 14 1/2 year old Red Toy Poodle and an 8 month old Cream Standard Poodle puppy..............they are helping me with my grief.......the puppy is keeping me busy..........I hope your Maggies helps you as well........I pray that you find comfort in the days ahead..........Remember the happy times you had with Oscar!

Thanks
    We can only pray. And we will. We lost a 8 yr. old Yorkie about 7 yrs. ago. Five months later we got Sadiemae who is six now. It was like having a child pass away. It's hard but it will get better. Hope you, your husband and Maggie the best.

Thanks

Maggie

First Pak, let me offer my most sincere & heartfelt condolences to you all. You will be in my thoughts & prayers always. Might I suggest ( if you have not already done so) take Maggie over to your friends house & leave her there for a brief time to see how she will react. If it is possible, do this each day but increase the time away if Maggie is not really upset on the first try. If she does react adversely, think about postponing your trip if possible. You might also want to think about getting another "friend" for Maggie before you leave. This might help w/the seperation anxiety. If you choose to go this route, talk to your friends to see if they would mind watching two dogs. Please give Maggie hugs, pats, scratches & tickles for me & PLEASE keep me posted on what you have chosen to do & how Maggie is doing. I have been in your shoes many times before & once again am realizing that I will be going through this all to soon, yet again. My rescue Poodle has kidney disease (we just found out 3 days ago) & I am still in shock. Love to you all from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks
    I'm sorry for your loss. My suggestion to you, is to be as normal with Maggie as you possibly can. Take her for walks, love you as you have. Don't change her routine. I don't believe you will have problems leaving her with your friend in 10 days. Dogs are stronger than you think. They are quicker to move on, than humans are about the loss.

For future reference... When an owner has more than one dog or cat doesn't matter, and one needs for whatever reasons to be put down., allow the other dog to be with that dog who is being euthanized. It seems as if they understand what's going on, and accepts the loss of their buddy quicker.

When I first got my dog Buddy, years ago, [he has since passed] I had to put my cat down because she was to sick. Her and Buddy were friends. The vet allowed me to let Buddy watch what was happening to Moose, and he had no problems afterwards.

Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast