Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I do not know what to do????(dog keeps licking his paws)

Thanks

Unhappy I do not know what to do????(dog keeps licking his paws)

My 5 year old miniature Schnauzer came in from outside and I was wiping his paws off and when I got to his left back paw he turned around and bit me. It took 10 stiches to close up my finger. I have taken (SAM) to the vet and he was checked out from head to toe, and they cannot find anything wrong with him, except the vet thinks it could be something that might be fixed with PROZEC medication!!!! Well I was in shock. I do not want my dog to be on meds so strong as that. Now most of the time he licks his paw(the same paw) sometimes growls at his paw, and even chases his paw in circles, and when you try to get him to stop he growls and looks at you strangly. does anyone know what is happening to my (SAM) and now my othe Miniature Schnauzer is doing the same thing(TOBY) I really need some help,please...so please feel free to give me any advice you think might be helpful.
    thank you.

Thanks
    I have never had anything like that happen. It sounds like his paw must have hurt him to have him bite you like that. it coould now have become a behavior problem. Strange that your other dog is now doing this. Is he copying? or mimicing him? Could they possible have gotten a small sliver or sticker in their paws? Sorry, that I haven't been more help. Will watch to see others suggestions.

Thanks
    I agree with jabetten. Sam biting you may be a because of the pain in his paws.

Does he only do it to a specific paw? I've heard of dogs who get protective of their paws

because of trauma. Did your dog had any traumatizing experience with the said paw?

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Thank you jabetten for your input. I appreciate it, but no small slivers or stickers, and yes I do think Toby is copying Sam.... but the vet said it might be some sort of compulsive disorder, meaning, it is on in his brain, he has become some what obessed with licking always the same paw....
    thank you so very much.

Thanks
    Hi jude09, thank you for replying to my problem. No there is no pain in Sam's Paw, the vet checked it very very carefully, there is nothing .Yes it has always been his back left paw, but lately he has began doing it to his right back paw also. No trauma whatsoever has happened to Sam in his whole life, I am way to protective of him and Toby,,, they are my boys!!!!
    thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Hi there, i own a Bichon Frise whom has a skin disorder and he constantly chews his paws and now when i come to cut his hair or trim his nails he wont let and as soon as i try he crys and tries to run off, he will not let me hold them for longer than 20 seconds. i think he may have the same problem aswell. When he is relaxing and calm i stroke his paws to get him used to me touching them and he is fine with that so hopefully he will relate me touchinh his paws as a relaxing feeling. you could try that, i will let you know if it works my end!

Thanks

licking paws

My 2 years old, minituare Schnauzer Luka was liking his front paws a couple of months ago. As you did I took him to the vet, and nothing was wrong with his paws. She told me that sometimes when the dogs are bored they can behave like this. I walk Luka 2 kms every morning and he drain all the energy and stay calm all day. Cesar Millan (Dog Whisperer Home | Cesar Millan) always advise that our dogs need exercise, discipline and affection in that particular order to be fulfilled as dogs. If they have no skin or any other issues in the paws it might be boredom. Hope you can solve this issue soon.

Thanks
    Hi Amanda,.
    Thank you for replying to my problem,, but neither Sam or Toby, have any skin disorders. I can touch Sam's paw now,,rub it slowly when he is in a relaxed mode, but when it hits him
    he goes out of control, chewing, licking mostly, turning around in circles, growling, until I can snap him out of it , which is usually about 5 minutes or so,,then he is good for another
    bit,,but he always returns to the licking of his paw!! Thank you for being so kind, in answering my question.

Thanks
    Hello hyuenjr,

Thank you for your interest in my problem with Sam and Toby,
    I also walk them both morning and night, draining their energy as much as possible. I am a member to the Cesar Millan( the Dog Whisperer) group and a very loyal fan. I think it is
    amazing what he can do with dogs. He is a very important man in my eyes, and what he does is something I have great belief in, plus I also practice exercise, discipline. and affection with
    both Sam and Toby. I do not think that neither one of he dogs are bored, as they are well taken care of, and have each other. Thank you for your comments, and always nice to know that there is another Dog Whisperer admirer!!!!!

Thanks
    Hello guys with regards to allergies and skin problems.

I think visiting this topic may help answer your questions and join in the discussion as well.

Skin Disease

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

+ Reply to Thread