I'm not sure how I found this site, but I'm so glad I did. My kids and I are about to add an addition to our family, a 12-week old male Yorkie. We lost our teacup poodle last August somewhat suddenly. We had her nearly 4 years.

I'd never been a fan of small dogs until we had her. A work friend gave her to me because my kids were bugging me for a dog and her daughter was going off to college and felt bad for the dog being home alone all day. She also offered if it didn't work out, she'd take the dog back.

As it turned out, it was a perfect fit for everyone. And I found, much to my surprise, that I actually love small dogs. All the stereotypes I had heard and believed were a myth. But after she died and everyone was brokenhearted, I swore "Never again."

An opportunity came up for this Yorkie. And it just felt right. Everything felt good, the timing, the dog, all of it. I think we're ready to take another chance on falling in love with a new pet. And being springtime, I'm figuring training will be easier, along with the fact I'm home now all day. I'd hate to be going out and leaving a poor puppy alone all day.

I started doing some research about puppies and Yorkies in particular. We've never had a puppy before and I want to do everything right. (Our last dog was really loved and perfectly trained so I didn't learn much on that end of things.)

I'm so thankful for this site!! It's helping me prepare for our new addition that's coming tomorrow night!! I'm keeping it a surprise for my kids (and it's killing me to not tell!) I'm actually getting him for my daughter's birthday. She's going to be 12 and she's a natural with all animals and wants to be a vet.

I feel almost as nervous as I did having my first baby ... so many things to learn about puppies and Yorkies. But after all the research I've done, I feel like a Yorkie will be a perfect fit for all of us.