Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Declawing my puppy?

Thanks

Declawing my puppy?

I've heard of something called declawing?

Will this be beneficial for my puppy? How is this process done?

I hope you can give me suggestions about it.

Thanks
    I really don't suggest this practice elemlamb, this can be a painful and traumatizing experience for your dog.

Declawing is removing the first digit of your dog's paws. Just Imagine the pain that your dog would have to go

through. In my opinion this is very unnecessary.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    I have never heard of declawing a dog, except maybe removing the Dew claws. These are the little thumb like claws that are up on the leg. These are usually removed when the pups are around 2 to 3 days old. These are removed because they can become overgrown and also they can catch on things like carpet and be pulled out, very painful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbred View Post
    I have never heard of declawing a dog, except maybe removing the Dew claws. These are the little thumb like claws that are up on the leg. These are usually removed when the pups are around 2 to 3 days old. These are removed because they can become overgrown and also they can catch on things like carpet and be pulled out, very painful.
    Will my dog be ok after removing his dew claws.? I checked and it seems he still has his dew claws. Is it necessary for me to do this?

Thanks so much jude09 and gingerbread for the input.

Thanks
    No need to remove dew claws. this is usually done when the pups are 2 to3 days old. Its easy and relitively painless at that age. With an older dog just make sure to keep them short so they don't become ingrown. Depending on what kind of dog it is be careful when grooming not to scratch or cut dew claws by mistake. Many dogs have their dew claws. Some breed standards call for dew claws to remain. If your dog still has dew claws don't sweat it, The dog will be fine.

Thanks
    I see thanks a lot gingerbred, I'll just be more careful and trim his nails regularly

+ Reply to Thread