Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips in nail clipping

Thanks

Tips in nail clipping

Honestly, I don't clip my dog's nails by myself, this is actually something that I want to overcome. My dog

is also scared of getting his nail clipped. So the fact that we're both scared isn't helping much. I also

know that there also people like me so share your secrets.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Hi, i would love to also see any suggestions as my dog used to let me clip his paws and now he wont give me a chance unless he is asleep i can get one but he wakes up and i havent got a chance. He does constantly chew his paws and think that maybe the reason that he wont let me touch them. So if anyone can help me aswell i would be most grateful. Thanks

Thanks
    I use a small rechargable Dremel tool with a coarse sanding wheel. At first both dogs resisted (fought) me through the entire process. Then I started doing a couple of nails at a time and would stop when they started fighting it and we'd rest for a while. Took a few sessions, but they are now resigned to the fact that I'm bigger and the less they fight the sooner it gets done. I recently bought a Pidipaws trimmer and they are slowly getting used to it. I tried clippers once but I couldn't hold them down, even though they weigh less than 8 lbs each.

Thanks
    I've heard of something called pedipaws for the dogs nails. Has anybody used this before?

Thanks
    i ahve had a look at pedipaws on the intenet and can get them from Amazon for 3.99 but a few comments on there was that the sander had stopped turning when you put pressure on it or the nail could get caught. i cant see how the nail could get caught as it has a guard and if you only put the edge of your dogs nail in then should be fine, i am going to give it a go as it is only cheap! Let me know if anyone has had any experience with them please. Thanks

Thanks
    I did get one for my daughter to try with her large, calm Balinese cat. He would let us turn it on and we could set it right beside him and even rub it gently over his back while it 'hummed', but the second we tried to put it against his nail, he would yank his entire leg back and try to run. We tried this several times over several days, had him wrapped-up in a towel, etc., but he never let it near his paws! He really liked it moving over his back, but since cat's are very sensitive about their nails, we ended-up taking it back to the store. We have gone back to rough scratching posts again. -- Sue Mc.

Thanks
    Thanks for your comment, i think my dog will try and run away, he does now when i put theh hairdryer near him or clippers or anything. He is a proper baby! i think i might give them a miss because of the noise, he will try and move im sure, looks like a visit to the vet to get them done.

Thanks

Lightbulb

Here is a youtube video tutorial which I think may help a lot of owners, especially first time dog owners, who would like to try clipping their dog's nails without them struggling. Here's the link: YouTube - How to train your dog to relax for nail clipping Hope that you can try and give me some feedback on how your dog progress. Thanks a lot! Will be waiting for your reply!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to newbear For This Useful Post:

CUsmile (03-13-2011)

Thanks
    I have had very good luck with trimming nails....I always made sure that when the boys were puppies...I played with their paws...rubbing them, and making sure thay it was very enjoyable for them. By the time they were in need of nail trims, they would let me do anything with their feet. Be sure that you never clip too short and get the 'quick' and make the nail bleed. This is extremely painful, and can scare them of any future nail trimming. My Mom had a dog that a groomer did this....and, from that point on, her dog required a mild sedative and the vet had to trim the nails.

MargeeTx

Thanks
    Our little girl Pap has finally settled down during the nail grooming process. It has taken a while, but she now sits quietly and tolerates the ordeal. I use the Pedipaws cause it's convenient and quick, not to mention painless. I make sure I play with her paws and nails every time I hold her. Just keep at it and have patience, you will win out as the alpha dog......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast