Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dealing with weepy doggy eyes

Thanks

Thumbs up Dealing with weepy doggy eyes

Hello everyone!

I just want to share another suggestion that a subscriber shared about weepy eyes.

Again, if you're reading this thank you very much and let yourself be known : )

For weepy eyes - this is often a sign of minor infection in the ducts.
    Boil 2 cups H2O. Add 1/4 tsp goldenseal powder and let steep for 24 hrs. Using a new cottonball for each swipe, gently wash your pet's eyes, removing all encrustations and seepage.
    If you have any more ways to treat weepy eyes then post your comments and suggestions. : )

Thanks
    Hi Sharda. I have a 7month Bishon, and have read in a Magazine for this specific bread, that for "show" dogs they provide filtered water so as to lessen the "stain"..is this the same thing as weepy eyes? Seems to me it has been better, but again he has only been with me for four months.

Thanks
    What is goldenseal powder? Please tell me where I can purchase this product.

Thanks
    Hi All
    I am a new member and also new Maltese owner. Is it natural for Maltese
    eyes to water every day. How do you keep their wee faces clean looking as
    staining makes such a mess even with cleaning every day. Don't think there iinfection
    as has his vaccination week ago and vet was not worried.

Thanks
    Here's an article I found on Weepy Eyes It is called Epiphora

Epiphora (Overflow of Tears) Causes and Treatment

An abnormal overflow of tears down the cheek or face is called epiphora. Tears are formed by a special tear gland (lacrimal gland) and their function is to lubricate the cornea, supply nutrients and carry away wastes. The tears drain out through a tear duct form the eye to the nose (nasolacrimal duct).

Epiphora is caused by an overproduction or and inadequate removal of tears. Epiphora is a common problem in poodles. Quite frequently it is due to an inadequate removal of tears caused by blockage of the tear ducts, although often the cause is unknown. Epiphora is seen accompanying most diseases and disorders of the eye, particularly conjunctivitis and keratitis (inflammation of the cornea). In these cases it is due to overproduction of tears from the eye irritation, although sometimes there is blockage of the ducts as well.
    Signs of Epiphora

The overflow of tears down the face or cheek is readily visible in epiphora. In dogs with light-colored or white hair, especially poodles, there is brown staining of the hair where the tears contact the face.
    Diagnosis of Epiphora

A special test, using a staining solution, can be done to determine if the tear ducts are blocked.

Unfortunately, in poodles the cause of epiphora is not always readily determined. Sometimes, a low-grade infection of the nose and throat causes partial or complete blockage of tear ducts, and this is most likely the cause if antibiotics given by mouth and applied in ointment form in the eyes helps reduce or clear up the problem. If the epiphora recurs when the antibiotics are stopped, the tonsils will need to be checked since they may be the source of the infection.
    Treatment of Epiphora

If the epiphora is due to the eye diseases, such as conjunctivitis and keratitis, then treatment of these diseases will usually clear up the problem. Cases caused by blockage of the tear ducts often respond to medical treatments with antibiotic eye ointment and sometimes oral antibiotics, but many require flushing the ducts under anesthesia or surgical opening of the ducts.

In some chronic cases that do not respond to other treatments, surgical removal of the third eyelid helps reduce tear production. The disadvantage of this procedure is that the tear production may then be inadequate, and this can lead to other eye problems.
    Chronic Epiphora

If the cause of epiphora cannot be determined or if it becomes chronic or recurring problem, despite treatments, the dog owner must learn to live with the problem. Although the cosmetic effect of epiphora is unattractive, the dog's eyes and health are usually not affected in such cases. Daily washing and frequent clipping of the hair in the stained area will keep the staining to a minimum.

The Link to the Article..

Epiphora (Overflow of Tears) Causes and Treatment

Thanks
    Hi Sarah

Thanks for that info will take on board - Peanut is not bad maybe he just be like that. Will keep a watch on it .

mia
    Thanks
    Hi,

Maybe it is just something you have to live with. I had a white Persian for 14 years and our morning ritual was wash her face and brush her(she loved to be brushed) but the stain was still there till I clipped the hair out. One Vet told me it is bacteria in her hair mixing with the tear that causes it. There are products out there but I didn't want to put anything on her that could possible harm her eye. It is all cosmetic and I am sure some dark dogs have the problem also but it doesn't show like a pure white one.

Just give him Love and enjoy for what he is. Have a Great Day.

Mia

Thanks
    juju golden seal powder can be bought at some Health Food stores. You can also check online for it.

Thanks
    Thanks guys - We do brush and wash his face every night otherwise would be in right mess.
    Would certainly not put anything on him that wold be harmful and
    yes Mia you are right just love him for what he is , which is the cutest.

+ Reply to Thread