Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Full Coat Yorkshire

Thanks

Post Full Coat Yorkshire

Hello All

I am looking for the best products to use to grow my Yorkies coat to full length?

Help please

Virnon

Thanks
    Use a pin brush so you don't damage the hair. Use a very gentle shampoo, I like Isle Of Dogs Evening Primrose Oil shampoo #12
    Feed a great healthy food, supplement with NuVet Plus.
    All these things will help your little dog grow a long healthy coat.

Susan Potts, CPG

Last edited by jude09; 04-07-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks
    I have exactly the same dog with a long coat. She gets groomed professionally every 4 weeks and when she is not running around or going for a walk. I pin her coat of the floor it saves any unwanted tangles and any dirt ruining my hard work.

Use a pin brush so not to ruin the coat or hurt the dog and brush out ends first.

Make sure you keep there back passage end clipped so you dont have to cut poo out of their coat (sorry i know).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lolasmummy For This Useful Post:

kjwilliamson87 (05-24-2010)

Thanks
    Get ready to work!!! Although a full coat is gorgeous on a yorkie, it does take work to maintain it. I agree with the other posts, but am compelled to add that you must brush your dog to the skin every day to maintain a full coat.
    I use a tiny slicker brush, and a very good pin brush. Weekly bathing is a must. A snood is helpful to keep food out of the facial hair. Routine professional grooming is also highly recommended.

Thanks
    Hello fellow Yorkie owners! My little guy is 9 months old. I noticed he had a tiny bit of dry skin (Yes, vet checked him--wasn't fleas!). So, I began to give him a 1/4 tsp of either olive oil or sunflower oil stirred into his Purinea One Puppy Diet (Lamb & brown rice)--you will find this advice from Sharda Baker's site. Within a month, no more tiny flecks of dry skin and his coat is growing very nicely. My breeder told me that bathing him every 2 weeks would help his coat grow. I don't know if this is true or not, but his seems to be growing well. I got a shampoo that had some conditioners in it (Pet store's groomer uses it) and also a separate conditioner (as part of a Christmas gift pack for him from my hubby). I now use both products on Taffy when bathing him as the extra conditioner seems to help comb his coat. My Yorkie book and my dog's vet advised bathing every 2 weeks unless he got into something 'smelly' while on a walk outdoors. I also picked-up a clearance item at the pet store for spraying onto your dog's hair to help keep it 'shiny' and help with any 'tangles'--it is a very light oil base product with macadamia nut oil. If Taffy gets any 'little'knots' I slice throught them or else cut them put with scissors; he is a 'shy boy' and since he is a "pet" and not a 'show dog', I don't want to make grooming painful. He still isn't thrilled with having a bath in our kitchen sink--I even put in a tiny bath mat son he feels secure and doesn't slip around. He doesn't mind the hair dryer in the least, and may even 'doze' while I drying his hair. Ha! I always 'hum a tune' while I finger-comb as I use the dryer; it seems to help!

Thanks
    To cute humming a song while grooming. Hey! Whatever works!

Thanks
    Hey, I appreciate all of the above posts. I too have a yorkie who just turned 1 on May 8th. I do have a question. I have seen a few yorkies that are younger than my boy and their hair is almost floor length. My boy's hair is not even half way. Am I doing something wrong. I feed him the best food (Nutro Max and Royal Cainin), he gets bath every two weeks. I shampoo him with good dog shampoo and a conditioner. Any suggestions or advice?

+ Reply to Thread