Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions in feeding your puppy

Thanks

Suggestions in feeding your puppy

I understand that puppies, those that are less than 1 year should be fed twice a day and should be given dog food that're specifically for puppies.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jude09 For This Useful Post:

mayra psanchez (05-27-2010)

Thanks
    I would like an answer to that question also. My new puppy is four months. I'm wondering if it's best to leave food in her dish all day or put it out am & pm.
    I was also told that the only difference between puppy food & adult food is a small amount of more fat in adult food. My pup is a Border Collie. Any advice? Thanks

Thanks
    I suggest that you do the 15 minute rule process and schedule a specific time for your dogs

to eat in the am as well as in the pm. In case you don't know what the 15 minute rule is,

it's leaving your dog food for 10-15 minutes, if your dog doesn't touch it during that time

remove it immediately from your dog and feed him again in the next schedule.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    ABSOLUTELY Jude. That is exactly what every dog owner should do.

I was told by my Vet to feed puppy food until they are one year old then switch to adult.

Thanks
    I am very interested in getting a Lhasa Apso puppy. I had one growing up, and would love to have another. I have done a tremendous amount of research, but cant seem to find anything that defines a Lhasa puppy's specific food needs. For instance, I know alot about the Great Dane breed, and know that they need certain types of high end expensive foods for reasons pertaining to their growth, the nutrients they need to grow, their skin, allergies, tummies, etc. I was wondering if there are any similar rules for Lhasa's? I fed my danes Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice. Because blue Buffalo contains no additives that dogs are prone to be allergic to. (ie: corn, wheat, and soy) It also does not contain any chicken or biproduct meal, it has actual deboned meat as the first ingredient. I am very confident in this food, but if there is a better food for a Lhasa, I would be very willing to switch with proof! Basically before I started rambling, lol, I was trying to ask if there is anyone that is familiar with the Lhasa Apso breed that would be willing to give me more information. Any would be a blessing. Thanks!!

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    I would check with your Vet...they would be better apt to direct you on what type of food is best for your new Lhasa Apso puppy..

Thanks
    Everybody has their favorite dog foods it seems. Some folks even make their own. I remember the list of good and bad additives that were on Sharda Baker's website and did some careful reading on various dog food bags. Now, I had first started out on a $16.00 per 4 lb. bag of lamb & rice puppy kibble from the pet store. By the time I was done reading labels, I found that the Purinea One for Puppies, Lamb & Brown Rice was a very good food -- even checked with 2 vets. It is $4.00 less. - S/ Mc.

Thanks

Red face How often I feed my Yorkie

As for the original question about how often do I feed my own dog--it has changed with his age! He was @ 16 wks old when I first brought him home over a holiday school break, so I was with him each day for 5 days and got him used to his puppy playpen, dishes, bed, newspapers, etc. set-up in our basement. At first, I put his food out 3x per day over my vacation. But, his breeder advised me that I should leave food out beside his water dish all day long when school started-up as he was still young, and he'd get hungry before I could get home in the p.m. As he has gotten almost a year old, he's not eating the dog food that I put out in the a.m., but he'll eat it when I put him back into his pup playpen during our own dinner time--probably smelling our food cooking in the kitchen gets him hungry, plus he's had time to go out for a walk and play inside, too. So, nowadays, I leave him in the a.m. with his water and a couple small soft treats--which he may or may not eat. I give him his regular dogfood when I get home in the p.m. when we eat and that's when he eats. Remember, he's a male Yorkie (just 5 lbs.), so you need to go with what your own dog's size and breed needs!!

+ Reply to Thread