Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with a picky eater

Thanks

Wink Eating issue with a yorkie (dealing with a picky eater)

i HAVE A YORKIE AND SHE WEIGHS 6 LBS, BUT SHE GOT A REAL BAD EAR INFECTION AND WAS PUT ON ANTIBIOTIC, SHE WAS EATING DOG FOOD AT THAT TIME, BUT SINCE THE MEDICINE SHE HAD TO TAKE SHE WILL NOT EAT HER FOOD SHE JUST TURNS HER NOSE UP AT IT AND DIGS AT HER FOOD BOWL LIKE SHE IS WANTING FOOD BUT SHE HAS FOOD BUT WON'T EAT IT. She used to eat the cat food but I don't think that is good for her, does anyone know something that I could do to get her to eat . She had Iams dog food, and Purinal One, she ate some of the Iams when I first got it but now she won't even touch it, I just don't know what to do.::

Thanks
    How long has she been like this ramcook?

I'm glad that you stopped feeding her cat food!

Have you tried consulting the vet about her feeding habits?

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Dear Ramcook, Try this link and look up dog food and look for Yorkshire Terrier. The link is Premium Dog and Cat Food - Royal Canin USA

The name of the brand is Royal Canin the type of dog food we use is Yorkshire Terrier 28. We have used this dog food on two Yorkies for more than 14 years. Our first Yorkie tried three types of dog food before we found this and she ate it very good. It was the only dog food she would eat. Our second Yorkie was about the same except she eats like a horse. If we add another type of dog food to the #28 Royal Canin she roots it out of her plate and eats only the Royal Canin. I did say plate, she will not eat out of a bowl. Hope this works for you and your Yorkie.

Thanks

Dealing with a picky eater

I see this as a big problem for most dog owners (aside than house training ofcourse). The scheduling method works for me though. Removing the dog's food for 10-15 minutes when he/she doesn't touch the food.

Any more ways to get rid of this habit?

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Hi
    I have a carien,yorkie terrier.
    When my daughter recused her years ago.He would only eat cat food.I finally took him to see what I could do for him.
    I tried every dog food I could.
    Finally he ate Moist and meaty,purina.It is a shoe string looking food in a packet.I have hand feed him every night at 9 o'clock for years.
    I wish you good luck.

Thank you also for putting on this forum.

Thanks
    I hear about more dogs not wanting to eat their food, are they trying to tell us something? The truth about pet food will make you sick. There has been much discovered in the pet food industry that is causing a great concern. You may go to my website and watch a video that was made to inform pet owners about the foods they feed.

Susan Potts, CPG
    www.spottsgrooming.com
    Professional Grooming & Holistic Pet Foods
    The Healthy Dog Blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to petfoodadvisor For This Useful Post:

LADY_DRAGON (10-04-2010)

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    When my little gal wouldn't eat..I worried and contacted her Vet and they suggested I try mixing a little Prescription Diet a/d with her kibble. It comes in a tuna fish size can and you only need to use a teaspoon (stir it until it liquifies and mix it with the dry food. Dogs love it..it has a high flavor they love. However.... DO NOT feed it by itself.....it is to be used by mixing it with dry food. You could also try mixing a little canned dog food with the dry dog food, OR just add a tablespoon of warm water with the dry... Dogs like that too. Dogs , like us, like a little change in our food once in awhile. Dry, Dry, Dry, all the time gets old. Remember...DO NOT LEAVE THE FOOD BOWL DOWN ALL DAY.

Please let me know how it goes. And remember that a dog will not starve if food is placed in front of them.

Last edited by MaryAnn; 04-10-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks

Yorkie vs Food

Have you tried feeding her actual meat- either chicken, beef, or pork chops?
    I have found that even the fussiest of my yorkies will eat real food. You can even try baby food- the turkey, beef, lamb.
    Do not feed her cat food - it is too high in fat and protein, therefore too rich for a dog.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    I am also having trouble getting my 7 month old spoodle puppy to eat. I have tried a couple of different dry foods mixed with a little chicken mince and some tinned food. She seems to have become expert at sucking the chicken mince off the dry food and spitting the dry food out. I'm concerned that she is not getting a balanced diet. She would eat chicken wings all day though if I let her.

Thanks
    I have a 10 month old Yorkie, that also has been fussy about eating her dog food. I wanted to feed her an all natural dog food, so started her on Innova, small bite food. She didn't like this food, even though the ingredients were outstanding! My Cavalier didn't like Innova either, so talked to my Vet and she recommended "Blue" dog food. Now both my Yorkie and Cavalier absolutely LOVE this dog food. Too many dog foods have all kinds of fillers in them and aren't very good for our dogs. If you read the ingredients on a bag of dog food, the ingredients are mainly fillers, without real meat or veggies. The problem I have with feeding canned food, is you will never get your dog to eat kibble again. another advantage of an all natural dog food, is that their stools will be noticeably be smaller, as more of the food is actually being absorbed by your dog. Canned food encourages tooth decay, which is another reason I prefer a dry food.

Best of luck with your little fussy eater!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast