Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Leash walking tips

Thanks

Leash walking tips

I'm sure that everybody has an experience with walking their dog ( or shall I say being walked by their dog ) So let's share some tips and suggestions that we may have formulated along the way.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    First get a gentle leader headcollar, some treats and lots of praise. When the dog pulls, stop, get his attention with a treat and go in a different direction while talking and keeping his attention on you. Never go in the direction the dog is pulling. You are the pack leader, and he must learn that.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    I do it similar to Gracey, but with a minor change or two.......

I taught my dog to respond to a signal (Clicking of my tongue)...
    ** STOP immediately when the leash becomes tight or is about to tighten
    ** WAIT about 2 seconds - by standing still - saying nothing
    ** MAKE my clicking sound with my tongue

When my dog starts to turn her head towards me...
    ** PRAISE her
    ** WALK a couple of steps in the opposite direction and she follows
    ** REWARD her for following.

This method has worked beautifully for my dog and me. She no longer pulls, and she heels beautifully everywhere.

Thanks

Difficult to walk dog

Hi!
    My 2 year old King Charles Cavalier is an adorable dog in every way except for the fact that walking him is a chore. He tends to fall behind and prefer to pe pulled along and will spend every moment trying to examine each object he finds along the way. His favourite pastime while walking is to eat everything he can find en route including paper, tissues and pieces of wood.
    I am attempting to to teach him "leave it" which is successful in the house but once outside he is back to hunting and eating any object he can locate.
    It would be nice to let him off the lead a bit but at the moment it is simply too risky as he has eaten something which has made him ill necessitating visits to the vet.
    Any advice would be helpful - thanks.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Does your dog pull or just stop????

"Leave It" is great. You should not stop each time your dog wants to. You are in charge and you should decide when you want to stop. Say "Let's Go" and mean it. I suggest you do not tug or pull on the leash as this could be damaging to the dog.

Have you tried having a few treats, kibble, or a squeaky toy or something with you? As you keep moving with the leash loose, feed a piece a kibble or whatever at your knee, as you continue walking, no stopping.

Teach them with process that they cannot have what they want unless they obey you. When he does for a designated distance that you choose...then reward him with stopping and sniffing...BUT ON YOUR TERMS.

Thanks

Leash training help

My pup doesn't "pull" when I put him on his leash. He just lays down and won't go anywhere. I have read tons on how to leash train and how to get your puppy to stop pulling, but I haven't come across anything on how to get him to just walk. I coax him, pulling becomes a game of course, and he is very cute but very stubborn! LOL..he is a 4 1/2 month old mini schnauzer that weights about 3 1/2 lbs.

Intermediate Member
    Thanks
    Have you tried putting the leash on when you can supervise him so he doesn't get caught on anything and just let him wander so that he get used to the leash?
    If he will work for treats you could try keeping a treat in your hand on the side where you want him to walk and letting him smell it
    He might follow the treat
    Give him the treat and then do the same thing again

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. We will start tonight and see what happens.

Thanks
    when jax was a pup and we tried to take him walks he did a similar thing i asked a friend what we should he said because he was a pup he was afraid of the outside and the best thing to do was take him out and just let him get used to his new enviroment gradually which we did and he soon came around treats also we gave him as a reward

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Solution: Regain Control of the Situation.....First thing I suggest is that you need to rule out any physical factors that might be causing the behavior. Most dogs love to go for walks. If your dog refuses to walk, he might be ill or in pain. The pavement may be too hot or too cold for his feet. Or there might be some other dog in the vicinity that is making him anxious and nervous.

Puppies are often very hesitant the first few times they go outside for a walk. You have to get them used to all the new sights and sounds very gradually. Never yank a puppy to his feet when he sits down. If you do, you've just added pain to the fear he is already experiencing.

If you are able to rule out any physical factors, then it sounds like you have an issue of control on your hands. When your dog sits down and refuses to move...turn your back on him and sit down also. Sit there for as long as it takes until your dog gets bored of sitting and comes up to you. When he does...give him lots and lots of praise and carry on.

Also...since he is very small...are you walking him in a harness as opposed to a flat collar?

Last edited by MaryAnn; 05-07-2010 at 06:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast