Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Fishies

Thanks

The Fishies

My basset has the fishies!

We have had him to the vet to get "squeezed" on his behind and it helped for a bit but, he smells like lobsters quite often. He does scoot and gets lots of excersise too and his "poo-poo's" are normal.

All I can seem to do is have the lysol near by......

Anyone else have this problem and if so what can you do??

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi there,
    I raise bassets, and find your post interesting. I've never seen this before. I'd certainly like to find out more about it too. Thanks for your post.
    Sharon

Last edited by sblackburn; 04-10-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks
    Have your vet show you how to express (as in "squeeze") his anal glands. Not exactly a pleasant task, but it will usually take care of things and you can avoid unwanted surprise odors.

Private property of a pack of precious pampered playful Papillons...

Thanks
    I've never heard of this!! What are the fishies? Is this something that can affect all dogs? (I have a 3-month old male Yorkie.)

Thanks
    My labradoodle has the same problem. Didn't know it was called Fishies. He developed skin allergies and now I cook his food. In between the time he goes to the groomer I wash him with an anti-itch shampoo and squeeze his anal glands. I also use an anti-itch spray for dogs on it. It helps for a little while, but he still scoots and chews on his anal glands.

Thanks
    my basset, Cooper only smells like FISH real bad and I called it the Fishies. LOL. His coat is silky smooth and no itching or biting or scooting. Sometimes he just reaks of seafood. EEEEWWWWW. And I keep the lysol can near by for the sake of my own nose. I was told squeezing his glads too much can damage them and the last time he had that done at the vet it only lasted a couple days. I can say I have found if he is upset in some way, that horrible smell comes out and he leaks a little. I don't know if there is a connection there. But I should of just named him "fish". LOL LOL. Still trying to find a way to help him with this.....any help is greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread