Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: my yorkie and the chronic vomitting yellow bile..on and off in life

mia
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee, I have never had that yellow bile but I will keep that in mind, just in case. I would think this would apply to all tiny dogs. I have two tiny Yorkies and three tiny Chihuahua's.

Mia

Intermediate Member Lee at Delayre's Avatar
    Sun Valley California (part of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley)
    Thanks
    It actually applies to just about any dog. If a dog skips a meal (too busy, too hot to eat ) they sometimes will spit up bile. A good hint that they are just hungry
    is every thing else is OK and there is no food in the vomit . Most adult dogs can get away with eating once a day but some need two feedings otherwise they have to go
    24 hours between meals. They cannot go to the fridge and grab a snack so their stomach gets upset and they spit up.

mia
    Thanks
    I never let my little ones go 24 hours for sure. They get fed in the morning and again in the evening, that seems to be working. Thanks.

Mia

Thanks
    Dolly is very healthy little girl. Thank goodness.
    Vet could find no reason, maybe it was change in food, as hubby was trying different foods for her, or could be she is getting hungry in middle of night, even tho she is free feeder on dry food. We give a tablespoon of can food 3 times a day. At our meal times. ( helps elimanate begging at table)

So looks like the one food hubby gave was too rich, and will try different foods. Have been researching foods and will try the blue. Will slowly mix with what she is used to and see how it goes. Trying to get her off puppy food to adult may be our big test for the year.
    The vet gave me an antacid medicine to try in evenings before bed. See if it helps also.

She truly enjoyed my day off with her today. She is spoiled and very loved.

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with spoiling MaryLou, as long as they are behaved, and do what you need them to do.. I spoil all of my animals, once they are trained.

Thanks
    I agree with sarah! Hahaha..my Fafner is really spoiled but he knows what he should and shouldn't do.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Hello: I would also like to hear what everyones vets say about the bile. I'm getting a Yorkie in about a week & if this is something that happens to Yorkies I'd like to know why & if it's someing to worry about. Good luck!

Intermediate Member Lee at Delayre's Avatar
    Sun Valley California (part of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley)
    Thanks
    Found on Vet info .com They seem to have good information on many dog related heath problems. As I stated in an earlier post it usually is no problem and has to do with being hungry . However in Yorkshires two things are of concern that should be discussed with both your Veterinarian and breeder . Hypoglycemia and Liver shunts a problem found in Yorkies. This is a link about the shunts http://www.yorkierescue.com/livershunt/research2.htmle Hypoglycemia is a sudden sugar drop which can cause death if not cauht in time . If the breeder has a problem in their
    lines I would not purchase a puppy

Yellow or light brown dog vomit, also known as bile, is not uncommon in dogs. The vomit is generally clear or a bit frothy white or yellow and occurs when your dog has an empty stomach.
    Don't Let the Stomach Remain Empty for Too Long

When stomach acids and bile accumulate in an empty stomach it results in inflammation of the stomach lining and discomfort. This common condition is called gastritis. Usually, your dog will vomit first thing in the morning or shortly before a scheduled meal while the stomach is still empty.You may noticed your dog salivating just before vomiting occurs.
    You can help control this type of vomiting, which is due to excess gastric acids, by feeding your dog in the morning and evening, allowing free-choice feeding or giving an antacid before the time when vomiting usually occurs. Prolonged use of antacids may stimulate even greater gastric secretions so it's the least desirable method to use for your dog. Multiple small meals a day works, as well

Thanks
    I posted something under Dog Health about a test for shunts. This might be something anyone that has a Yorkie throwing up bile might be interested in asking your vet about. I'm suppose to get Teppi this next week & the first time I take her to the vet I'm going to ask him about it & if he knows what I'm talking about I'm going to go ahead & have her tested. Bile coming from the liver is usually a kind of pink color & gastric is the brown/green/yellow. But if my baby was throwing up bile a good bit or a lot I personally would ask more questions & for more testing & I'd deffinitely have the test I talked about in my other post done no matter what color the bile was just to be safe. I hope you get all the answers you need & a solution to the problem. PLease let us know anything the vets say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2