Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 English Cocker Spaniels

Thanks

3 English Cocker Spaniels

Hi
    I am based in the south west of England and am the proud owner of 3 English Cocker Spaniels, and a Cockapoo.
    I have owned cockers for the last 8 years after down sizing from labradors and GSD's.
    I have found them to be almost perfect in every way. Not to big but not to small willing to walk miles but just as happy curled up in front of the fire on a wet day.
    Easy to train and groom.
    I hope there are more of you out there it would be great to talk about these wonderful dogs to other enthusiasts.

Thanks
    Hello and welcome madmax!!!

I hope you enjoy it here!

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    I'm a new dog owner. My family and I have a choc.,male, cocker spaniel named Charlie Brown. I was very nervous about getting an inside dog so I tried to do a lot of homework before we committed. Since I have nothing to compare Charlie too, I don't know if it's him or his breed but he has been a pleasant and easy dog to have inside the house. We've had our ups and downs but nothing to what I was anticipating. He has been easy to potty train, he has developed his own personality but he also has figured out our family members characterics too! He has even proven to learn tricks fast! I tend to questions everything, so I might pick your brain a little if we continue to talk about these great dogs!

Thanks
    Hello Charlie Brown!

Welcome! Its good to have questions!

So ask away 'till your hearts content.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Hi Charlie Brown.
    All my dogs live in the house and are realy easy to live with.
    They all have their own character and know how to wind me round their little paws getting me to feed and walk them at least twice a day.
    I hope I will be able to help you with any questions you may have.
    I am not a vet or any thing but have owned dogs for more years than I care to remember.
    Karen

Thanks
    I have come up against one thing that has puzzled me about my cocker spaniel. When I took him to the vet for the first time he totally freaked out! He also freaked out (crying, whining, yelping, pulling away, peeing, barking) during his first trip to the groomer. The groomers kept reassuring me that Charlie's behavior was very common for first timers and especially for the cocker breed. The vet said his behavior was normal for a cocker, but he also stated that he showed early signs of "fear aggression". Now, to give Charlie a little credit, his first trip out was to the vet, who in my opinion didn't handle the visit very well. Charlie was slightly ill and he took a stool sample from him and he hadn't even touched him or talked to him first. Charlie's second trip to the vet, he was very scared but didn't react badly in any way. Charlie's breeder reassured me that his parents were very calm, easy-going and very smart dogs.
    Is this behavior that I should get used to seeing and experiencing when he goes places or can I do something to help him ease into these situations better? Could he possibly outgrow this (he was 4 & 5 months when the visits took place)?
    Also, our Charlie seems to take a long time to warm up to strangers or other dogs. He flinches, hides, runs away, growls, and barks at new people or dogs. We have been trying to take him out to appropriate places like friends houses who have other dogs, kids and adults around. He has so far always warmed up to everyone and other dogs and ends up having a great time, but it takes him a long time to do so. The only time he didn't warm up to someone was a friends young child (8yrs.) and he showed signs that he was growing more aggitated and appeared like he might bite her. This is the only person he has shown these traits to. Are these things that we should be worried about or normal behavior that we can work on? And what should we do to help him overcome this?

Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-11-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks
    I make it a habit to make periodic sociial visits the vet's office with our dogs just let them get used to being there without getting poked and prodded. They love to sniff out all the dog food sacks and scents of other dogs and cats who have been there and when it comes time for shots and temp taking, the vet is always amazed at how calm the are. I would try making some visits to the groomers and vets, take some favorite dog cookies along for the vet/groomer to give him when he's there. As for meeting strangers, our dogs sometimes react the same way and I make it a point to take them for walks where I can expose them to lots of people. One of our dogs gets edgy around kids, even our grankids. He seems OK with children when they don't shrink away or raise their hands in alarm so I try to get the kids to move slowly and not show alarm. He's never bitten but I live in fear that he might so I keep him away rom kids who seem to distress him. We are hoping that continued exposure will calm him down. We, too, ar looking for ideas on making them kid-friendly.

+ Reply to Thread