Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2nd dog?

Thanks

2nd dog?

I currently have a 6yr old female springer spaniel. She is the bench bred variety. Gentle and small built. I would like to add a cavalier to the family. I think the smaller size combined with the spaniel personality would be an ideal addition. However, I am concerned about our dog accepting the change. Is she too old?

We also have 2 young children 4 and 5 yr old. I know they would treat the puppy well. Frankly life is already chaotic, so I figure now is as good a time as any to add a new pup.

Does anyone have experience with adding a puppy to an older dog? Any experience with adding a puppy to a young family?

Thanks

Thanks
    We had a 14 year old Papillon who was an "only dog". When her heart began failing, we knew would have to make that hard decision of putting her to sleep. We decided to get a pup because we couldn't bear the thought of not having a little companion around. When we brought Lily, our little girl Pap home, the older dog wouldn't allow her to get anywhere near, even though the pup just wanted to play. This went on for almost two months but finally, one day, they started playing together and became best friends. In fact, the older dog would play so hard she would literally exhaust her poor, tired body and would have to rest for hours. We ended up with two pups, went back and got Lily's brother which gave "grandma" a rest. I relly believe that it gave the older dog a new spark and she lived another happy 1 1/2 years. Just took a while for the older dog to accept the intruder.

Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi,
    I had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Rupert, when he was 11 years old I decided to get the same breed puppy called Rocco.
    Rocco was 9 weeks old when I brought him home to meet Rupert. At first Rupert didnt no what to make of him, he wasnt too sure at all, because Rocco wouldnt leave him alone, biting his ears etc.
    I bought a largish crate for 2 reasons the first to give Rupert a break from his annoying him, and the second to give the puppy his own space to rest . This worked out very well and I only used itfor about a month
    Day by day they got on better, after a few months they were inseprable, Rupert absolutly loved him, they ate, slept and played together. It totally gave Rupert a new lease of life, and he lived another 3 years to the grand old age of 14 and a half, he chased him around the garden untill the night before he died.
    We all miss him terribly, but in 6 months time I hope to get a new little puppy to be with Rocco, because he still looks for him
    It was the best thing I have ever done getting a puppy with my older dog.
    Good Luck
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had a 12 year old 'heinz 57' (hate the word mongrel!) when we introduced Izzy, our barmy cocker spaniel, to our household and they got on fantastically well from day one and I find that the older dogs will soon but the pup in their place if they get too frisky!!

Thanks
    We were concerned about our 3 yr old cav at home by himself so we added a 12 week old puppy to the household. She brought a whole new dimension of joy to the family and to our "Toby". They play together, they go to the dog park together. They sleep together. It was the best thing we could have done for Toby.

Thanks
    You'll never regret getting a cavie. I have a 2 year old tri-colour cavie called Morgana. She is wonderful company and very friendly. x

Thanks
    I think adding a puppy would be great actually. When you bring the puppy home introduce the puppy to the older dog, by giving the older dog the puppy's rear first. This places the puppy in automatic submission to the older dog. The older dog will teach the puppy the rest..

Have fun!

Thanks
    Cavaliers really need a mate. Mine was pretty upset when I brought home another dog. We soon realized that the Cav was the Alpha dog and as long as we feed her first, let her go in and out of house first, etc. After about two months of fighting, they became best friends. It has been a year since they have been together and I cannot imagine having just one dog now. Go for it. Just be patient.

+ Reply to Thread