Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: setting ourselves up for heartbreak

Thanks

setting ourselves up for heartbreak

My husband and I are going to be getting my daughter a puppy in a year or so for her 11th or 12th birthday. She has her heart set on a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Is it possible to find one that does not have (or will get) heart or other issues. I don't want to set her and us up for tremendous heartbreak and not to mention lots of medical bills. I notice that even the show dogs are not OFA clear.
    Any insight on the subject would be helpful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by babyburrito View Post
    My husband and I are going to be getting my daughter a puppy in a year or so for her 11th or 12th birthday. She has her heart set on a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Is it possible to find one that does not have (or will get) heart or other issues. I don't want to set her and us up for tremendous heartbreak and not to mention lots of medical bills. I notice that even the show dogs are not OFA clear.
    Any insight on the subject would be helpful.
    I have two Cavaliers and LOVE them. They are best best dogs ever. I bought both from reputable breeders. They had health checks and guarantees from the breeders. (One in Georgetown, Tx. and the other in Houston). Just be sure to get a guarantee from the breeder. You can buy pet quality for cheaper if you don't plan to breed or show. Good luck. You will be glad to have one, just do your research on breeders.

Thanks
    I, also, have two cavaliers. One I found in a pet shop and he, unfortunately, has SM. We are treating it. My other one I bought from a breeder who had bred her 3 times, neutered her and was looking to get rid of her. She is actually a year older than my "sick" one. She is a "bundle of joy". These dogs are well worth any health problems! They love everybody and are a constant source of fun. Get a reputable breeder, travel if necessary to get one. It is well worth the effort!!

Thanks
    I have a two year old Cavalier and they are the greatest dog breed ever!! Your daughter has the right idea, in wanting this breed of dog. I live in Amarillo, TX and found a breeder about 50 miles from Frisco,TX where my sister lives. If you live in TX, I would be happy to give you this breeders name. He has all his dogs tested for the common health problems known in this breed. I didn't have to pay an exorbitant amount of money for her, since she is a pet quality puppy, not one that someone would choose to show in dog shows, or to use for breeding purposes. This breeder I chose said he was aware of the current economy and priced his puppies so people that really wanted this breed of dog, would be able to afford it. It was more important to him, to place his puppies in homes that would LOVE his puppies, rather than make a big profit in selling them.

My Cavalier has been exceptionally healthy, without one health problem! She loves everyone and would be a perfect pet for your daughter. This breed hardly ever barks and all they want is to be loved. My advice is to do your research and find a reputable breeder, one that has had his dogs checked for any health problems and with enough breeding done, to
    know his puppies are healthy and will grow up to be healthy dogs. You won't be sorry you chose this breed!!!!

Thanks
    My sister got a Cavalier from (believe it or not!) the animal shelter in SLC,Utah. Annie is awesome! She is healthy and had no issues until she picked up fleas in a motel room. She has an allergy skin problem now that is a pain to treat. She is on prednisone and is bathed with special shampoo regularly. What a love dog,though! She is worth the trouble. Like with any breed,make sure the breeder is reputable. I watched a video on this breed and it showed how some of the show dogs were bred for smaller skulls. The outcome was their brains outgrew their skulls and caused seizures and other severe issues. Made me sick what they did! Be very cautious and aware....

Thanks

Life w/ our Cavalier

We welcomed a 9wk old Cavalier into our family a little over 1 yr ago. Her name is Fiona and she is sweet, loving and very smart. I do find myself getting a little anxious before her Vet exams, due to the possibility of Heart issues developing, yet every time she is very healthy. I don't know what the future will bring, but, she is a wonderful addition to our family! Please do your research into breeders and ask for references of previous buyers and CALL THEM. This breed is so special...relatively mellow, very affectionate and great personalities. Be prepared to provide regular basic grooming (brushing, ear care, paw pad hair trims), a good vet, quality food, fenced area to run around and lots of cuddle and play time. Every breed has certain health issues that may present during the dog's life, or may not! The only thing you CAN be sure of... You will fall in love...We did!

Thanks

breeder referral

We are currently looking for a Cavalier puppy for our family. I am looking for a healthy, pet
    quality puppy and would love to get the information on your breeder. I am located in Southern
    California, so not sure if they ship their puppies. If not, maybe they can refer me to someone closer
    to home. Thanks!

Thanks
    I have a 4 year old Ruby Cavalier which I bought from a breeder who raised puppies in her grooming shop. She is pet quality but every bit as beautiful as the show dogs I have met. I took her as soon as I got her to the vet who checked her out and he told me he has not seen much heart trouble in Cavaliers in spite of the widespread tale that they are prone to heart conditions. He advised me to feed her good food, keep her from gaining weight and have her checked annually so that at the first sign of heart condition she can receive treatment. So far, so good. A friend has a 7 year old Cavalier. She does not have heart issues, but has had hip problems so had to lose weight. Once she lost weight, she has no more problems. I would advise any home that likes a loving dog to get a Cavalier. My dog is certified to be a therapy dog and I take her to libraries for kids to read to her. I have also taken her to a hospital for severely disabled children with cerebral palsy and other complications. They make loud noises and pull and poke at her. I put her on the tray of the wheelchair for them to touch and feel her. She was only loving to these children and one of the staff people at the hospital said he had never seen a dog more suited to show love to others no matter what. I am sure losing her would bring heartbreak, but having had her for four years has brought immeasurable joy and I hope we have many more years of joy.

Thanks
    We have a 20 month old black and tan, Millicent (Milli), and she's an absolute delight. A very happy dog. Loves anything on one to four legs. I concur with the prior posts that a reputable breeder, one that provides a guarantee, is your best bet. We got Milli from a small, long standing breeder (came from references) that was closing down because of job loss and resulting forced move. I would add that it's important to see the pup's parents...and grandparents, if possible, to check their health. While it's not an absolute guarantee of good health for the puppy, it's comes about as close to one I can think of. Also, be sure that you have lined up a vet beforehand, preferably one that owns and/or knows well Cavaliers, and have that vet thoroughly check the puppy within a few days of bringing it home. A quality breeder will always accept the puppy back if the vet check comes up short.

Thanks
    We have two cavalier tri-colours. I had forgotten how much joy a dog can bring into a family until these two entered our lives. Toby now 3 was a gift from a friend who wanted to get rid of him . . . .(why I cannot imagine) Scarlett I bought as a companion for Toby. They bring us so much joy and laughter and love and affection every day that any future loss would be painful. "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved . . . "
    Go for it - find a reputable breeder and get the pup or look for a dog rescue. Toby took a couple of weeks to adjust to our household and 3 very old cats. The cats were not a problem they all curl up in the sun together. Now scarlett and the persian cat sleep in the kennel together to keep warm. They are the best dogs ever for company in a family.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast