Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips to choose a good dog breeder

Thanks

Tips to choose a good dog breeder

Choosing a good dog breeder is the first step to ensure that you get a happy and healthy dog. Let's talk about experiences and tips in choosing a good dog breeder.

There are actually bad breeders who will sell a puppy or separate them from their mothers even before the pups are 8-10 weeks old. Imagine the strain and the lessons that the pups should have learned from their mom before they were separated.

Honestly, before knowing much about dogs I used to like visiting pet stores a lot looking at the puppies that were sleeping but now whenever I see a pet store it just crushes me (I'm really sorry for being melodramatic). Because now I see caged dogs rather than happy and energetic puppies.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    My advice for finding a good breeder is to first do your homework on the breed you are interested in, what are the health problems? what is the conformation standard? Then look for a breeder who does all the health testing, has extensive knowledge of the breed. A good breeder will give you a health guarentee of 2 years or more. A good breeder will ask you lots of questions. A good breeder in doing this for the love of the dogs and to better the breed not to make a quick buck. A dog from a reputable breeder may cost more upfront but will save you in the long run on vet bills.

Thanks
    As someone who has breed both English Cocker Spaniels and more recently Cockapoos ,I would say that you should WALK away from anyone who DOESN'T have the MOTHER of the puppies for you to meet. Most breeders won't have the father as they use an outside stud dog to prevent inbreeding. Secondly the breeder should ASK you as many questions about your lifestyle and expectations of the puppy as we want you to be happy because if you are happy then our precious babies will be to.
    Always ask to see the original documents appertaining to any health tests your breed may have and expect to be given a copy along with diet and general care details for your puppy . I give a folder with 30 or 40 pages of information with every puppy I home along with enough food for a month, toys,collar and lead ,blankets smelling of Mummy to help the puppy settle into your home.
    NEVER buy from pet shops or any place that keeps puppies in rows of cages as you have NO IDEA where they came from and in what conditions they have been raised. I keep all my puppies in the house either in my bed room for the first 2 weeks then moving them into the living room or they are born in and raised in the living room next to the T.V
    This ensures that they are used to being in a family home and are all ready socalised to all sorts of different noise's and things.
    I could go on for pages as it is some thing I have DEVOTED the last 8 years of my life to.
    If you need any more help please feel free to ask it is always better to do your homework BEFOR you get your puppy.

Just to show you my happy healthy Cockapoo puppies.

Last edited by madmax; 05-15-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    They are adorable, I can almost smell their beautiful doggy breath. Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jude09 View Post

Honestly, before knowing much about dogs I used to like visiting pet stores a lot looking at the puppies that were sleeping but now whenever I see a pet store it just crushes me (I'm really sorry for being melodramatic). Because now I see caged dogs rather than happy and energetic puppies.
    You aren't being melodramatic, Jude, it's true about the puppies in the cages. It saddens me also, because I want to sweep them up and take them all home, and that is truly unrealistic.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Always acquire puppies from good, reputable sources. No self-respecting dog-breeder would ever sell a litter to a pet store. You can find a reputable breeder by seeking advice from a national organization, such as the Kennel Club, or by contacting a breed's organization. Alternatively, you could ask for a recommendation from friends.

You will know you have found a good breeder when he or she asks you more questions than you ask them. A good breeder will only sell a puppy to someone they think will treat him properly and give him the care he needs. They'll want to know if you will be home during the day, if you have a fenced yard, if there is a park nearby where you can exercise the dog. They'll give you advice on training and diet. They may even want to come and see you at your home. Only when they are satisfied that you will make a good responsible dog-owner...will they sell you the puppy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    You aren't being melodramatic, Jude, it's true about the puppies in the cages. It saddens me also, because I want to sweep them up and take them all home, and that is truly unrealistic.
    yes, i perfectly understand how you feel Sarah, if i just have the resources and the time i would bring all those puppies home and take care of them..

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    me too Jude.. I'm working on it.

Thanks
    I thought I had found a good breeder ov toy yorkie pups they were born on the 29th ov sept me and my partner went to see them when they were 3 wks old we saw their parents who were very well behaved and well looked after and chose our pup and a 1 for my partners sister who had recently lost her 17yr old toy yorkie. we asked some questions and they said they would b ready in about 5 wks so we payed our deposits for the pups 100. Then on Wednesday just gone we got a phone call saying to cum get the pups and bring rest ov money 500 they were ready but they are only 5wks old and breeder said if any problems bring them bk for a few days all some care about is money not the dogs welfare think they would ov selt them to cruella deville. luckily pups r settling in to there new homes nicely and r happy and feeding well.

Intermediate Member
    Thanks
    Hi Trixie 10
    The puppies learn a lot from their mothers and littermates about being a dog
    That is why they shouldn't go to their new homes until they are 8 weeks old
    They might have socialization problems in the future
    I hope the other pup lives close and the pups visit each other often
    This might help with the problem

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast