Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scratching/pawing on my arm

Thanks

Constant pawing/scratching on my arm

My 3yr old min.schnauzer is constantly pawing or scratching at my arm. She wants her back scratched constanly and as long as you do that she is fine. But, the minute you stop she is back to the pawing. Others who come to visit find this very annoying. Please, does anyone know how to make her stop this? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

scratching/pawing on my arm

I posted this under min.schnauzers, but maybe it should have been here. My dog loves attention and gets plenty of it. she loves to have her back scratched and as soon as I stop then she starts scratching/pawing at my arm. Visitors find this quite annoying, and I worry that she could scratch them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this behavior??? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    I am not a dog trainer by any means, as I am a first-time dog owner, but do know that if you give in to her and continue to scratch her back whenever she wants it...she will think she is the "Alpha". YOU need to decide when you will scratch her back, not her. Whenever she starts pawing at your arm, immediately put her on the floor and ignore her. If you are on the floor with her, get up and move. It may take awhile, but it is important that you be patient...she will soon figure out that if she paws at your arm...she will not earn your attention. Mini-Schnauzers are a very smart breed, she will catch on...just be patient. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks
    Last night i decided to try what you had suggested. She started scratching my arm while she was on the floor. i ignored her, so she jumped up on my lap, turned her back to me and started scratching my arm. I again ignored her. She finally just laid down on my lap and fell asleep. Yeah it worked. today we are back to the scratching, so more training today.....you are right she is a very smart dog and THINKS SHE IS THE BOSS.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Glad to hear it is working....like I said...just continue being patient. She will soon realize that you are the boss and she must earn your affection. Believe me when I say ...she will be a much happier dog when she realizes you are in charge of her. She will want to continue to please you everyday of her life. Please continue to keep me updated.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Is your mini still scratching/pawing at your arm, after following my suggestions (posted under the Miniature Schnauzer section)?????

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    How is it going with your 3 year old mini??? I haven't heard from you and I was just wondering.

Thanks
    She is doing so much better. Also I am increasing her exercise and that seem s to be helping too. She hardly ever leaves my side, very loyal.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you are increasing your mini's exercise. A tired dog is a happy dog. Keep training!!!!!

Thanks
    hello i'm merging this topic that's also found in Dog Training ====> scratching/pawing on my arm, hope you don't mind

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

+ Reply to Thread