Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coprophagy (poop eating problems)

Thanks

Coprophagy (poop eating problems)

For those whose dogs have the habit of of eating their own poop. You can discuss it here

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Help! What works in keeping my dog from eating poop?

Thanks
    **Coprophagy**

Coprophagy is when a dog eats his own stool. This can be a shocking and disturbing behavior for a dog owner to see.

This behavior is more common with puppies, and those puppies tend to outgrow it as they get older.

Coprophagy is the technical word for when a dog eats his own stool.

The exact cause is still being debated. There are a few theories though;

Coprophagy can be caused when a dog is stressed from a move, or frustrated or anxious.

If a dog has been left alone for many hours at a time, for example, he could become irritated and take his frustration out by eating his waste.

Extreme hunger, combined with an unclean cage could lead the puppy to eat his stool.

It can also be caused if the puppy has a digestive enzyme deficiency (this is apparently quite rare and usually NOT the cause).

Another theory is that coprophagy is a trait passed down over many years.

It is thought by some that the dog's cousins, the wolves and coyotes, may eat feces if food is in very short supply.

But, who knows for sure.

The best way to prevent the problem of course, is to keep yards and kennels free of feces. (not always easy or practical though).

A popular method to prevent coprophagy is to add meat tenderizer or pineapple juice to your puppy ’s food. The puppy will be deterred by the distasteful addition.

Alternatively, you could try one of the several products on the market. Others may be able to offer suggestions of products they have tried?

The general idea here is that certain "products" are added to the food of the animal whose feces are being eaten.

The product is the going to be digested by the animal, resulting in giving the feces a very BAD TASTE.

If that doesn't solve the problem, go outside with your dog and pick up his stool immediately after he defecates.

If you happen to catch your dog in the act of eating, say NO and remove him from the feces.

Consider giving your dog 5 minutes time out locked up whenever you catch him/her in the act. Then, clean it up.

Also, ensure you dog is getting a balanced diet.

In situations in which the behavior may be linked to stress, the cause of stress should be eliminated or at least reduced.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jude09 For This Useful Post:

Lady'sMum (03-05-2011)

Thanks
    Ive seen my dogs eat their own poop, but it was usually when they were upset about something. (and with my dog.. it doesnt take much) And they always got over it pretty quick. Especially after giving lots of kisses after the deed LOL. But seriously, when my dogs eat their own poop its the same time they eat grass. So I have always chopped it up to an upset tummy. My cat eats her own puke.
    I dont feel thats something I need to "fix". Mother nature and instinct must be allowed to take its course. Right?
    Not saying this isnt an issue. My dog died of parvo because she could not stop herself from eating other dogs poop. It was insane! She went freakin NUTS if she smelled another dogs poo.

So you talk about dogs that eat there own poo.. What about dogs that eat other dogs poo? And cant no matter how much training cant stop themselves?

Thanks
    Give your dog some Pineapple mixed with his food, it changes the taste of the poop, I tried this and it does work. Give them the pineapple and next time they eat poo will be the last time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rbw60 View Post
    Give your dog some Pineapple mixed with his food, it changes the taste of the poop, I tried this and it does work. Give them the pineapple and next time they eat poo will be the last time.
    You tried it , did you?

Thanks
    This is the first dog I've ever had that eats her own poop...I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it...disgusting>>>I have tried several things in her food that didn't work for me..pineapple, pumpkin, cream of tartar and some other natural stuff from the pet store..The most recent think I learned about was ketchup and it works...Mix it in with their food and hopefully it will work for you too!

Thanks
    Dog who eat their or anyone elses poop, is in need of whatever mineral they are lacking and getting from the poop. Even their own. Some minerals do not get absorbed as easily as others, untill it has been through the body. This way it is broken down for the dog to be able to absorb the mineral that is lacking in their diet.

What this really says is the dogs are having problems with their digestive tract and it could be time to begin giving them some Organic flax seed oil in their food.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Dog who eat their or anyone elses poop, is in need of whatever mineral they are lacking and getting from the poop. Even their own. Some minerals do not get absorbed as easily as others, untill it has been through the body. This way it is broken down for the dog to be able to absorb the mineral that is lacking in their diet.
    Yes, I've also heard of this but I think otherwise. I respect your opinion Sarah and I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I believe that this problem is behavioral rather than nutritional.

Thanks
    Don't ever think that I would take another's opinon the wrong way, Jude. It will never happen :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast