Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Biting and nipping doggies

Thanks

Biting and nipping doggies

Share some tips and tricks to overcome accidents that may happen because of this nasty habit.

Sharda just made an article about this problem, so I think it would be better if I share it here;

DOG TRAINING BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS MANAGING NIPPING AND BITING

Nipping and biting are dog training behavioral problems that are frequently experienced with both puppies as well as adult dogs that believe they are in the leader position.

It is imperative that you teach your dog from the beginning that he is not allowed to do this.

One of the most important things you can do to discourage this type of behavior is to simply not allow your dog to play with your feet or hands.

It can seem very cute but it only teaches your dog that it is acceptable to bite your skin.

To read the complete newsletter please click here.

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Do not play Tug-of-War, especially with a young puppy as this promotes aggression.

Also, if a dog or puppy playbites or nips at you....immediately say "Ouch" in a firm voice. This will get the dog or puppy to back off...as this is what happens in the litter when one gets too rough...the other one will yelp...meaning "that hurts - back off".

Thanks
    I have a new boston terrier puppy 9 weeks old. I have tried this method and he growls at me. I have looked up several things on this. We have tried them and it doesn't seem to work. We say "Ouch" then "No bite" firmly. I also read to spray him in the face with water every time he does it. That didn't work. I read to put marbles in a aluminum can and shake it and that doesn't work. I have also tried to give him treats every time we put our hand near his face and he doesn't bite. Everytime we walk somewhere he will jump on our legs and bite us, he bites our hands. We have a 5 year old son and he has bit him a few times too. I just don't know what to do about this behavior. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    I am sorry to hear that nothing has been working for you, however....you have to realize that if you are CONSISTENT and PATIENT...the techniques will work. Some puppies catch on immediately and some it takes a little longer.

Did you get your puppy from a breeder? If so, ask him/her how the puppy behaved within the litter. Like I mentioned above....when one puppy in the litter gets too rough...the other one will yelp...meaning "that hurts - back off". It sounds like you are saying that when given a treat he doesn't bite...SO.....He's thinking - "Give me a treat OR I'll bite". You need to teach him to never nip/bite ever, not just when he is given treats.

I think using the water spray and marble can is more negative reinforcement......AND you always want to use positive reinforcement only, always.

When your puppy does this again...immediately say "ouch" and get up and turn your back and ignore him for a few seconds or so. If he does it again... again get up and turn your back and ignore him....giving him absolutely no attention. You say nothing except "ouch" once when he is in the act of biting/nipping. Continue until he gets that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated ever. It may take a while, but with CONSISTENCY and PATIENCE...he will catch on.

Training saying less words is much better...otherwise the puppy/dog will be confused. They really do not understand a whole heck of a lot of language , yet.

Be PATIENT and CONSISTENT, and please be sure everyone in your household is on the same page. Good Luck!!!

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your response! I will try this and see what happens.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    You are very welcome Heidi. We are here to help each other. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Thanks
    For any puppy, or adult dog, that bites, you must bite back. The mother would always correct the puppy with a bite. So this is what you do.

For your 9 week old Boston Terrier take your index and middle finger, and strike him on the side, quickly, but hard enough to get his attention. Don't use words. Your puppy is showing aggression, and signs of becoming the Alpha dog, there is no one in the family apparently is taking control, or being leader, so he is. He is doing what comes natural that a Pack leader or Alpha would do to his pack.

I would also suggest to get him in obedience classes as soon as possible.

Every puppy nips and bites, because it's their way of playing, when you dog is jumping up and biting you, as well as your 5 year old son, this is a sign of aggression.

Thanks
    One more thing..what should I do if I turn and walk away and he follows me jumping and biting at my clothes/leg/feet?

Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Ok, this makes me nervous. I was going to look into obedience classes, but didn't know if he was too young. I'll start calling tomorrow. What can we do to take contol and make sure we are his leader?

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Heidi...Any reputable dog trainer will not usually take any dog/puppy in class unless he/she has all of their shots, approximately 16 weeks of age. However, check with your Vet as some vet clinics have puppy kindergarten classes for the ones that have not yet completed all of their puppy shots.

Also...check in your area for any local dog training clubs. They are a local resource. In the meantime....you could hire a private trainer to come to your home. Just be sure they are certified. Check with AKC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast