Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem Pekingnese

Thanks

Unhappy Problem Pekingnese

I have a 3 year old Pekingnese, male, neutered, who will not stop messing in the house. He also scratches up everything (doors, walls, etc.) in the utility room. He is home alone all day due to our having to work. When we get home, he goes out and does his duty but will come right in and mess up. He will use his pad during the day but not when we are home. Any suggestions?
    DeeHE

Thanks
    Hello DeehE,

Have you tried turning on some music and letting your dog boogie? I'm sorry I just realized it wasn't funny.

But seriously, music may be able to soothe your peke while you're away. It's also better if you record your voice

and play it while your away.

Tell us if it works ok?

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Have you tried taking him for a long walk before you go to work in the morning this will have 2 benefits first it will give him plenty of time to toilet and second it will tire him out meaning he will be happy to sleep while you are out at work.
    Also do you have anyone who could come in at some time during the day to let him out and play a few games with him as most dogs don't like being left home alone all day and will find their own entertainment if you don't provide something for them to do.
    Good luck with getting this sorted.
    Karen

Thanks
    Hi. My name is Linda and I am the proud mom of 6 pekingese. They are 3 girls and 3 boys ranging in age from 14 years to 6 months. Your little boy is lonely and seeking attention. Pekes are very loyal and dependent on their human and need to be the center of attention with a lot of love. Have you thought about getting another "fur kid" as a companion to your little boy?

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Sounds like your dog needs to expel some of his energy. Madmax has a lot of good suggestions. Your dog needs to be walked a couple of times a day...AM before you leave, and PM shortly after when you return.

You should have a variety of "interactive problem-solving" toys that hold small treats (kibble works great) that the dog has to work at to get the treat. Also...Kongs filled with peanut butter and placed in the freezer the night before.. Dogs love it (providing he does not have an allergy to nuts).

Keep the radio on a talk radio show. The sound of people talking is sometimes more soothing than music.

I do not recommend getting another dog so this one will have a playmate. If you want him to have a playmate...please check into either a Dogwalking Service or a Doggy Daycare.

What ever you do....I'm afraid the problem will continue if your dog is not getting enough EXERCISE.

Sorry for being so blunt.....BUT any dog who doesn't get enough exercise will become a problem dog.

Thanks
    I think your dog is pining for you, so during the day, play some music. When you come home, he goes out and does some of his duty, but he wants to be near you, so he'll come back in and do the rest there so he can be closer to you! Try standing outside when your dog does his duty.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    That's correct alishiamay. I agree that you should always accompany your dog outside when he/she goes potty. TWO REASONS....1. They want to be closer to you. 2. You can pick up their "poop", so to eliminate another potential problem that so many people are facing - dogs eating poop.

+ Reply to Thread