Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: claiming items

Thanks

Question claiming items

Our Bichon Frise has taken to claiming things, she has a problem with my husband , who does lots for and with her, she will come onto our bed in themiddle of the night and sleep in between us and love it, but when my husband gets out of bed she claims the bed and wont let him anywhere near it ithout a fight!! when he takes no notice and gets in anyway she rolls over and lets him rub her tummy or puts her head on him for a cuddle, I was sitting on the sofa just now and my shoes were on the floor, he came over and gave me a kiss and shewent mad at him, barking and snarling, then jumped on my shoes and claimed them!!she has nipped him quite a bit. What worries me is that she will be out and a child might make a move close to me or crawl up to my handbag and she might go for them, she doesnt do it to me because if I want something I will just go and take it she never goes for me its other people and other people getting too close to me yet I dont let her get away with it, I tell her off or I wont make eye contact for a while afterwards so she knows I am cross, my poor husband is so lovely with her and plays on the floor, and takes her with him on outings. She is 2 years old and had puppy training when she was little.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    I hate to say it, but your husband needs to change immediately or your Bichon will continue "Out of Control" behavior.

Every dog needs the following daily and everyone in the household needs to be on the same page...Exercise....Discipline...Affection LAST and within reason. Dogs are not children. Believe it or not dogs who are given boundaries are much happier. They want their owner (s) to be the "Alpha".

If your husband continues as he is doing and is allowed to do so... your dog is likely to be labeled aggressive.

I suggest both you and your husband together with your dog attend more Obedience Classes. Puppy class is great, but a dog needs training daily. I'm not saying you need to attend classes throughout your dog's life, but a few , and then PRACTICE...PRACTICE.... PRACTICE commands daily with your dog.

Dogs thrive on being provided a Structured Routine daily.

Please have your husband read this. I'm praying for you that he will change. Your dog will be much happier...believe me.

Thanks
    hello I'm moving this topic to a more suitable place so that others could also view it. hope you don't mind

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I think you need to step up and stop your dog from becoming agressive with your husband. Both of you must let her know that this is unacceptable behavior. If you don't stop her, she will continue to think that she is your protector or part of her pack. If she fusses with your husband about getting back into bed, you should be the one to put her off the bed until she realizes that she is the visitor not the owner. I am sure there are many exercises you can both do to help her understand who is the boss. Out of control dogs can be a danger to themselves as well as others. I fostered two bichons and they are generally not agressive dogs. Clicker training might help with you using a clicker when she performs the way you want her to perform. I am not an expert, but if you make an effort to work with her they are fast learners. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread