Untitled Document

Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life Healthy Dog Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terratorial Coton

Thanks

Terratorial Coton

I have a 3 year old Coton de Tulear who is amazing in every way except when the door bell rings and people come over. He barks like crazy and he will jump on whoever is at the door and bite at their clothing when they first come in. Once he calms down he loves everyone and is very friendly. He is only like this when people come into our house. Any suggestions? We now keep him in his cage if we are expecting people and he comesout once they are in the house and settled.

Thanks
    We had a similar experience. You are doing the right thing. That is what a trainer told us to do.

Thanks

terretorial coton

you had the same problem with a coton? Thanks for your reply. The only roblem with putting him in his cage is when we are not expecting someone and the doorbell rings and he goes crazy. So it doesn't seem like an ideal situation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree with Gracey, caging them is recommended by trainers. However, you must all completely ignore your dog and only let him out once he is completely calm and submissive.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    Have you tried "Body Blocking" your dog? When the doorbell rings ...you must claim your space by the door. Open the door slowly and if the dog approaches, close the door...block him by standing in front of him and saying "back". Open the front door only when your dog is back and you have claimed the space by the door. It will take time. But with patience and consistency - it does work.

You could practice using a mock doorbell, or stepping out and ringing the doorbell yourself. But the key is to PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Thanks
    I agree whole heartily with Mary Ann. By putting him in the cage training is being avoided. I believe with a good stern "I'm the Alpha" type voice your dog will listen. Dogs tests their owners, just like children test their parents. IF we don't remind them where the boundaries and limitations are, they don't know they have any...

CJK
    Thanks
    Hi my dog jumps up and barks at people when they come in. My trainer suggests putting her on the lead and pulling her back saying no when she jumps up. Lots of praise when she sits calmly.

Thanks
    Hello CJK

I suggest that you visit the topic below to read some advice from other dog owners;

My dog jumps on strangers!

-- to infinity and beyond!

Click Here For Helpful Doggy Books & Audios

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. We had a new trainer come over and he agreed that caging the dog is avoiding the problem. We now have our dog on a leash and when the doorbell rings we are supposed to correct his behavior by pulling down on the leash and saying leave it. It has gotten better but we must practice everyday.

Experienced Member
    Thanks
    YES!! Lola. The key is to PRACTICE DAILY. Did the trainer tell you that you must claim your space by the door?

The leash is a good idea, and with consistent practice you will soon not need the leash.

Is everyone in the household on the same page with this? Everyone needs to be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast